Subject: Re: Proper tracking of copies in git log and others

From: Graeme Geldenhuys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:53:44 +0200

Lasse Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Getting full history of a file, including that beyond copies, is rather 
> important and apparently not currently supported by git tools.

You seem to be right. I'm quite new to Git so don't know all the 
commands, but this is what I came up with..

$ git log --raw 2009/exercise2/description.txt
commit edfd954572e844b05a7489bcaa149afb679bc1f6
Author: Graeme Geldenhuys <[email-masked]>
Date:   Tue Jul 7 08:44:20 2009 +0200

     Course 2009 recycled entirely from 2008

:000000 100644 0000000... e965047... A  2009/exercise2/description.txt

We then take note of the  ^^^^^^^  value and generate the following
command.

$ git log -C --raw | grep e965047
:000000 100644 0000000... e965047... A	2009/exercise2/description.txt
:000000 100644 0000000... e965047... A	2008/exercise2/description.txt
:000000 100644 0000000... e965047... A	2007/exercise1/description.txt

Now now shows you the history of the file as it was copied from one
directory to another.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

-- 
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/