Subject: Re: 'git svn fetch' keeps giving a error after freezing

From: Graeme Geldenhuys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:07:13 +0200

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> 
> ==============================
> $ git svn fetch
> .....
>          A       fixes_2_0/fv/gadgets.pas
>          A       fixes_2_0/fv/colortxt.pas
>          A       fixes_2_0/fv/outline.pas
> RA layer request failed: REPORT of '/svn/fpc/!svn/vcc/default': Could 
> not read response body: connection was closed by server 
> (http://svn2.freepascal.org) at /usr/local/libexec/git-core/git-svn line 
> 4505
> ==============================

It seems this issue has nothing to do with Git. It's a bug in the TCP 
traffic handling in all SVN clients from Collabnet. Here is a recent bug 
report about this exact issue.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/1576

The problem gets triggered on slow connections and large revisions 
(commits) or large files.

Our slow connection is probably why I keep getting the issue. Even 
though we have a 4MB ADSL connection, we hardly ever reach that speeds. 
Plus some more research revealed the shaped ADSL connection goes through 
our ISP's transparent proxy, making the connection even more flaky/slow.

Luckily the FPC repository has an alternative port that it listens to as 
well (port 8080) which bypasses the transparent proxy. Using the new 
port, the 'git svn fetch' is flying!!!!  :-)  At Last!

Thanks to all that tried to help me...

Regards,
   - Graeme -

-- 
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/