Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 1/4] Teach the --all option to 'git fetch'

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 22:08:11 +0100

On 11/08/2009 04:45 PM, Björn Gustavsson wrote:
> 'git remote' is meant for managing remotes and 'git fetch' is meant
> for actually fetching data from remote repositories. Therefore, it is
> not logical that you must use 'git remote update' to fetch from
> more than one repository at once.
>
> Add the --all option to 'git fetch', to tell it to attempt to fetch
> from all remotes. Also, if --all is not given, the<repository>
> argument is allowed to be the name of a group, to allow fetching
> from all repositories in the group.
>
> Other options except -v and -q are silently ignored.

I'm not sure about the naming of the option.  The reason is that while 
there is no "git remote push", it makes sense (at least in this case 
symmetry) between "git fetch" and "git push".  I would love to have a 
way to push to multiple remotes, for one thing. :-)

What about having "git fetch --multiple" without arguments do the same 
thing as "git fetch --all" (possibly renaming skipFetchAll to 
skipFetchDefault)?

Paolo