Subject: Re: Linking multiple Git repositories for version tracking

From: Christoph Jahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 08:12:47 +0000 (UTC)

I have had the very same issue a while ago when still using SVN (shame on 
me ;-). SVN offers a special tag "svn:externals" which is something like 
symlinks. Having used it for a while I came to the conclusion that such a 
thing, as well-intentioned as it may be, is something I want to avoid by 
all means.

There are two reasons for that:
- Lock-in
- It is conceptually wrong

The conceptual part -which I consider to be more important- is mostly 
about the fact that we are talking about dependency management and not 
version control any more. Do I really want to "hide" dependencies inside 
the VCS? Also, there may be different dependencies for compilation and 
testing. That's why I chose to use Maven for this task.

My $0.02

-- 
Best regards,
Christoph