Subject: is there a trick to run commands on a remote repository

From: Gelonida <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 23:54:08 +0200

Hi,

I'd like to get information from a remote git repository.

Example:
git branch -v

If the remote repository were remotehost:/a/long/path/repo.git m then I
could type

ssh remotehost "cd a/long/path/repo.git ; git branch -v"

If the remote repository were file://a/long/path/repo.git , then I had
to type
( cd /a/long/path/repo.git ; git branch -v )

I could write a script, which parses the repository name and executes
then the correct command.

I just wondered, whether git has already some bult in tricks, which
would help me avoiding to implement my own potentially faulty script.

I'm interested in executing 'read only' commands like

git branch
git log

thanks in advance for any suggestions