Subject: git clone / git pull to USB memory stick (FAT) and symlinks

From: Gelonida <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:35:17 +0100

Hi,

For a given project I'd like to have some USB memory sticks, which I'd
like to keep up to date.

I thought about cloning a remote git repository onto the stick
and performing
- regular pulls in order to update the USB stick
- occasional pushes in orderto publish changes performed on the stick.

Now my questions:

1.) Ignore skip / symlinks
-----------------------------
The git repository might contain symlinks (as it was created on a  linux
host)

Is there any way to perform a git clone / pull and just skip any symlink
in the working directory

2.) Avoiding file permission issues: Is this sufficient
---------------------------------------------------------

I read about some config setting which should avoid problems with
the rather limited file permissions on a FAT file system

git config --add core.fileMode false

3.) Any other special config settings
-----------------------------------------
Are there any other special preparations to be done fi I'd like to
have a non bare git repository on a memory stick.

Thanks for your suggestions