Subject: rebase planning: determining blobs changed by multiple branches

From: "Neal Kreitzinger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 18:41:44 -0600

We have 15 branches that are unmerged, but are based on the same published 
history.  They branched off at different points in the history.  Each branch 
is comprised of a single squashed commit (except for master).  How can I 
compare all 15 branches with the tip of master to see which file merges 
(blobs) they have in common?

a-------b-------c-------d-------e-------f-------g-------i-------j-------k-------l
|           |            |           |           |                      | 
|          |           |---k1
|           |            |           |           |                      | 
|          |---j1
|           |            |           |           |                      | 
|---i1
|           |            |           |           | 
|---g1
|           |            |           |           |---e1
|           |            |           |           |---e2
|           |            |           |           |---e3
|           |            |           |---d1
|           |            |           |---d2
|           |            |           |---d3
|           |            |---c1
|           |            |---c2
|           |---b1
|           |---b2
|---a1

The goal is to create a sane plan for rebasing.  If the question is insane 
as it is stated, then please advise on any sane ways to approach this 
besides just rebasing one-by-one and making the last poor branch wait till 
the end to rebase with a ton of conflicts.  I'm dealing with users who 
refuse to do frequent rebases, so a plan the minimizes rebases while getting 
the most out of each rebase is desired, if practical.

v/r,
Neal