Subject: Re: Where is information of "git read-tree" stored?

From: Manuel Reimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:52:10 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> It is unclear to me what you meant by "connection" "lost" and "recreated"
> above, but I am guessing I can ignore them, as long as I take it that you
> mean by that local mirror from the subversion repository "Bproject" below.

Yes. And the reference to it isn't pushed to the remote GIT server. If I clone 
the remote repo, then "git remote -v" doesn't show the reference anymore.

> That "how to" may be badly written and this may have been unclear to you
> but the first four steps are to be done _only once_ to set things up, and
> after that you need to run only the fifth step whenever you want to update
> from the Bproject. Could you suggest a better wording to update the doc?

As long as I don't understand what's going on here, I can't suggest how to 
improve the documentation.

> The very first "subtree merge" (the one that is recorded with the commit
> after the read-tree) records all paths from Bproject renamed to elsewhere
> in the merge result (you can view it with "git show -M
> $that_merge_commit")

Tried that, but the stuff, I saw on screen, doesn't make clear how GIT knew 
about what to do here.

I also still don't know how I can restore that whole setup if anything, I have 
on my local side, gets lost. Means, that anything, that I have left, is the 
stuff, I pushed to the remote GIT and the SVN, I want to have in my own tree. 
Which steps do I have to perform to restore the setup and have it working again 
without getting conflicts?

Maybe the risk of getting problems is too high and I should copy over stuff, I 
got from SVN, from time to time manually to my GIT repo?

Yours

Manuel