Subject: Mark and protect local commits?

From: "norbert.nemec" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 09:29:04 +0100

Hi there,

I have often wished that there were ways to

a) protect certain commits from leaving the local repository

b) mark commits that have already left the local repository

To be more specific:

a) Sometimes, I try out certain experimental features and want to make 
sure they don't accidentally end up out in the wild. If there were a 
flag to explicitly mark them "private", any non-local operation (push, 
pull, etc) on these commits could create an error message.

b) For history-rewriting operations, it is important to know which 
commits are out in the wild and which are not. In a "push"-setup working 
copy, git should be able to keep track of this. Any newly created commit 
would be marked as "unpublished" and the mark would be removed when the 
commit is pushed. Any history-rewriting would be prevented on published 
commits.

Has anyone else thought along these lines?

Greetings,
Norbert