Subject: Re: How to find and analyze bad merges?

From: "norbert.nemec" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 10:01:18 +0100

Am 02.02.12 09:16, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> "norbert.nemec"<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> a colleague of mine happened to produce a bad merge by unintenionally
>> picking the version of the remote branch ("R") for all conflicting
>> files. Effectively, he eliminated a whole bunch of bugfixes that were
>> already on his local branch ("L").
>>
>> Obviously this was a mistake on his side, but hey: everyone makes
>> mistakes. The real problem is to find this problem afterwards,
>> possibly weeks later, when you suddenly realize that a bug that you
>> had fixed suddenly reappears.
>
> Bisect?

This is not the point: My colleague knew exactly which commit contained 
the bugfix. The trouble was finding out why this bugfix disappeared even 
though everything indicated that it was cleanly merged into the current 
branch.