Subject: git-cherry filter

From: "Neal Kreitzinger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:20:59 -0600

Is there a way to add a pre-git-patch-id filter to git-cherry?

e.g.,

(a) perform "keyword contraction" to the patch before generating the 
git-patch-id.

e.g.  I want to run a git-cherry to see if two patches are identical other 
than keyword expansion values like $User: foo$ vs. $User: bar$.  (I would 
have to tell git-cherry which keyword formats to "contract".)

(b) ignore comments in the source code.

e.g.  I want to run a git-cherry to see if the patches are identical in 
regards to executable source.  (I would have to tell git-cherry what the 
comment rules are for the various source files.)

(c) exclude certain files from the diff (ie., binaries, comment files, 
etc.).

e.g.  I want to run a git-cherry to see which source code fixes from the old 
system have already been applied to the new system regardless of whether 
certain files differ (ie., binaries (ie, compile date), comment files (ie., 
fixed a typo), etc.).  (I would have to tell git-cherry which 
paths/filenames to disregard.)

I suppose these may be git-patch-id options that are passed via git-cherry 
like the git-fetch options passable via git-pull.

v/r,
neal