Subject: Re: [BUG] Destructive access to an "objects/info/alternates" repository

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 11:50:35 -0500

>> FWIW, I just tried it with
>> 
>>     git clone --shared ~otheruser/nongnu
>> 
>> and got the same result.
>> I also tried with another repository, still with the same result (tho
>> different pack.idx names, of course).
>
> I've tried several times to reproduce this, but I am unable to do so. You may
> need to provide the tarball with ~otheruser/nongnu contents for someone to be
> able to properly debug this.

OK, you can try with the following tarball:

    https://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~monnier/nongnu.tar.gz

untar it (as "otheruser") into ~otheruser (which will create
~otheruser/nongnu) and then do (as your normal user):

    git clone --shared ~otheruser/nongnu
    cd nongnu
    git gc

It "worked" (i.e. gave me the unlink failure warnings) for me, so
hopefully it will "work" for others as well.

The `git clone` will likely give you some message about HEAD not being
found, which is normal.

        Stefan