Subject: Parallell Development / Switching to GIT

From: Patrick Neuner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 09:52:06 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

we are using SVN right now and with the way we do / need to develop, it seems we
are constantly get in a merging horror. 
I did quite some reading about git now, but I am still not really sure if that
what we try to accomplish can be done with git,
Or if we are really doing something a too odd way. 

Let my try to describe – I also added an image. 

---- repo 1
  |
   - repo 2 (=branch of repo 1 - for our external developers)

We have the main branch and 2nd branch for external developers. 

We work inside the repo1, which are usually features/updates that go life after
a short turn. 
Our external developer work on different features that will be merged into repo1
from time to time. 

Usually during development, we sometimes need to push features from repo1 to
repo2, and later the features developed on repo2 will be pushed back to repo1, 
And also smaller bug fixes come from repo2 that needs to go into repo1. 

But this is a constant process, meaning, that both branches will exist,
especially repo2 will exist after this feature has finished for smaller
updates/bugfixes. 
We don’t want to do a new branch for each bugfix, for each new small feature,
but have different branches for different developer teams. 

So I was wondering, if this could cause troubles with GIT in case of merging
around without closing a branch. 

I am adding an link to an image that might show what I tried to explain. 
http://temp.in.futureweb.at/parallell-development.png

Thanks
Patrick