Subject: Re: Problem with Integrated Vim Editor on Win 10

From: Peter Olsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 06:33:26 +0000 (UTC)

Zachary Turner <zturner <at> google.com> writes:

> 
> Hi, just recently I installed the latest build of Windows 10 of my
> machine. This is my second Win10 machine. On the other I am using git
> 2.7.0.windows.1 and everything is working just fine.
> 
> On the second machine I am using git 2.8.0.windows.1 and vim does not
> work. I sent a bug report to bugs <at> vim.org, but frankly I don't 
know whose
> bug this is, so I'm including it here as well.
> 
> The problem is that vim is just a black screen when git launches it. 
If I
> mash enough keys eventually I see something that resembles vim output 
at
> the bottom, but I can't actually use it.
> 
> I tried going into program files\git\usr\bin and just running vim.exe.
> Again, black screen. If I press enter about 10 times I can see the
> introduction screen. Then if I press : about 10-20 times it will go 
into
> command mode and a single : appears. after pressing a few more keys 
all
> the rest of the :s appear. Basically, everything is completely 
unusable.
> 
> I tried downloading vim 7.4 from www.vim.org, and low and behold, it
> works. For now I've replaced the copy of vim.exe that ships with git 
with
> the copy from www.vim.org. But this leaves me nervous that something 
is
> seriously wrong.
> 
> Has anyone seen anything like this before, or have any ideas how I 
might
> better diagnose this?

Same problem here, but on Windows 7. I'm pretty sure that this was 
introduced in version 2.8.0 for Windows. Before upgrading, I used the 
latest 2.7 version and it worked as expected.

I'm not sure where we should report this?

/Peter