Subject: Re: PATCH: Less fragile lookup of gpg key

From: "Greg A. Woods" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 20:59:34 -0400

At Sat, 01 May 2010 12:54:24 -0700, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
Subject: Re: PATCH:  Less fragile lookup of gpg key
> 
> If I have two keys like these:
> 
>     Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
>     Junio Hamano <[email-masked]>

I'm not an expert on PGP internals or such, but I think that's a really
bad thing to do.  I'm surprised you were able to get gpg to do it in the
first place.  I would have hoped it wouldn't allow it.  As far as I can
tell it's _not_ compatible with other implementations of PGP.

PGP keys normally are searched by the e-mail portion only.  All the
other stuff (comments and the display name, etc.) is for decoration
only.  This is just as it is in e-mail routing too of course.

You can of course have more than one e-mail address per key, but you
should NEVER have more than one key per e-mail.

I.e. it's less reliable in the first place to have two different keys
which can be found using the same e-mail address.

-- 
						Greg A. Woods
						Planix, Inc.

<[email-masked]>       +1 416 218 0099        http://www.planix.com/