Subject: Re: send-email sending shallow threads by default

From: [email-masked] (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:03:27 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:06:18AM +0100, Martin Mares wrote:
>
>> > There's no need to have the date field be set to the time the mails
>> > were actually sent though. AFAIR, they get the AUTHOR_DATE now, and
>> > I doubt more than one commit can be authored every second.
>> 
>> Is it really so?  Last time I have used git send-email, they got the
>> current date. It was in Git 1.5.5, though, so it is possible that it
>> has changed since then.
>
> send-email does write a new date header. Which is actually desirable,
> IMHO, because otherwise rebased patches would get sent with their
> original date, which might very well long in the past (and not only is
> that confusing, but it would probably trip spam filters).

Can we ensure that all of the messages sent differ in date by 1 second?
Keeping them in order for anyone who looks at the transmit date.

I know at one point I started using --change-reply-to because of the problem
of threads showing up in the wrong order, and making it hard to read.

Eric