Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] format-patch: autonumber by default

From: [email-masked] (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 03:20:05 -0800

Brian Gernhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> format-patch is most commonly used for multiple patches at once when
> sending a patchset, in which case we want to number the patches; on
> the other hand, single patches are not usually expected to be
> numbered.
>
> In other words, the typical behavior expected from format-patch is the
> one obtained by enabling autonumber, so we set it to be the default.
>
> Users that want to disable numbering for a particular patchset can do
> so with the existing -N command-line switch.  Users that want to
> change the default behavior can use the format.numbering config key.
>
> Signed-off-by: Brian Gernhardt <[email-masked]>
> ---

Grumble.  I updated git last night and this change just bit me.
Grumble.
Grumble.

It is probably a good change, but it was unexpected.
Grumble. Grumble. Grumble.

Eric