Subject: Re: Adding default remotes to a bare repository

From: Francis Moreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:09:33 +0100

Neal Kreitzinger <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> you can do some hook setup automation using git templates.  see the
> --template option of git-clone manpage and 'template directory'
> section of git-init manpage.  There is some big reason why they don't
> let you inherit hooks from the origin repo of the clone repo.  I think
> its basically because you could have security risks or compromise git
> integrity/workflow with hook inheritance.  If you look in the
> newsgroup people have talked about this alot before.

Ok I'll look at what have been said.

> As far as your request for automatic remotes, a flaw in your logic may
> be that you think the functionality you want would let you clone from
> an already-setup clone (1) which points to remote (a) then the new
> clone (2) would point to the remote (a) of clone(1).  Not so.  When
> you make a clone it does get an automatic remote to the repo it was
> cloned from.  This is called 'origin' remote.  Therefore, clone(2) has
> an origin remote to clone (1).  Your idea on automatic remote setup is
> in direct conflict with the way git currently does automatic origin
> remote setup.  You can't do both because that would turn in to a real
> mess pretty quickly.

I don't understand your last sentence. Why do you think it's going to be
messy ?

Thanks
-- 
Francis