Subject: Re: git log -z doesn't separate commits with NULs

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:35:14 +0100

Nikolaj Shurkaev <[email-masked]> writes:

> I did something like this:
> git log -z --patch HEAD~10..HEAD -- SomePathHere | xargs -0 
> --max-chars=1000000 ~/1.sh
>
> If I put
> echo "started"
> into the file  ~/1.sh I see that the file is called only once instead of
> multiple times.

If you want the command to be called once for each commit you need to
pass --max-args=1 to xargs.  Otherwise xargs will cumulate the arguments
until --max-chars is reached, and the command is expected to loop over
them.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."