Subject: [GSoC] My Git Dev Blog – Week 11

From: Atharva Raykar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 19:13:19 +0530

Hi all,

You can find the web version of this post here:
<https://atharvaraykar.me/gitnotes/week12>

Here's the contents of the post:

1 Week 12: Nearing the finish line
`================================'

1.1 Project Progress
`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

This week was more eventful than the last week. I sent a [patch] to finish the
conversion of whatever is left of submodule add. The response has been
favourable, and my first batch of conversions have already made their way to
master! While this is all fine, it would be nice if someone could give some
insight into [my question] on that series about the cache API. My use of the API
in the series seems to give correct results, but I don't understand what it's
actually doing, which is a not a good sign.

The [update conversion series] needs more eyes on it. Shourya Shukla has left some
helpful comments, but other than that I don't quite feel confident about the way
I structured the [run_update_command()] function. I wonder if I should hold on to
the follow-up of the update series until this one gets more comments, or if I
should just send the next series in the hopes of renewing interest in what's
already on the list. For now I am leaning on waiting a bit more.

I have also started some work on [making submodule a builtin]. That series is
still incomplete as of now, but should be in a reviewable state in a couple of
days.

With all of that it does feel like I am inching closer to the finish line with
my project. So is this stint with the Summer of Code. I don't think my work will
be merged before the Summer of Code ends, because it still needs a lot of
reviewing, but that's okay for me, since I plan to stick around for a bit even
after the program ends. That said, I'd appreciate more people volunteering for
reviews so we can wrap up the submodule conversion work faster :-)

It would be nice to see this work, which has spanned for [at least 6 years]
finally come to an end!

[patch] <https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]>

[my question] <https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/>

[update conversion series] <https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/>

[run_update_command()] <https://github.com/tfidfwastaken/git/blob/6ce8fd2dc912f9073d6760b0aa77e0a5543ee26e/builtin/submodule--helper.c#L2340-L2436>

[making submodule a builtin] <https://github.com/tfidfwastaken/git/tree/submodule-make-builtin-2>

[at least 6 years] <https://github.com/git/git/commit/74703a1e4dfc5affcb8944e78b53f0817b492246>

1.1.1 Other Updates
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be busy from 15-19th August because of some family-related business,
which requires me to travel. It should not affect my work much, but I may be
slower to respond in that period.

---
Atharva Raykar
ಅಥರ್ವ ರಾಯ್ಕರ್
अथर्व रायकर