Subject: Re: git checkout -b following git reset --hard pitfall

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 15:57:03 +0200

"Maris, Rob" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Normally, when there are modifications in the working tree not yet added
> resp. committed, git will refuse to change to another branch.

Only if switching the branch requires touching the modified files.

> Actually, the modified
> status of git related to both branches after git checkout -b can have
> following consequences:
>
> - it is lost definitely when git reset -hard is executed

This is true regardless.

> - if committed, it is committed into the newly created branch

This is often the desired state, and there is no harm in doing it
accidentally.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."