Subject: Re: How do I investigate apparently random git clone reports of "error: File ... has bad hash"?

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:59:15 +0200

Thorkil Naur <[email-masked]> writes:

>> $ git clone http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc.git/ build8
>> Cloning into build8...
>> error: File 42988feeeb76f5cb92b541e9dac277e073bcb3ef has bad hash
>> error: Unable to find 42988feeeb76f5cb92b541e9dac277e073bcb3ef under
> http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc.git
>> Cannot obtain needed blob 42988feeeb76f5cb92b541e9dac277e073bcb3ef
>> while processing commit ffb2e81c03a01e74825b3a0223e214df59241fab.
>> error: Fetch failed.

I just tried to clone it and got this error:

$ git clone http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc.git
Cloning into ghc...
error: Recv failure: Connection reset by peer (curl_result = 56, http_code = 0, sha1 = be6810bb027643bf0697b3d237426110f064aba1)
error: Unable to find be6810bb027643bf0697b3d237426110f064aba1 under http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc.git
Cannot obtain needed commit be6810bb027643bf0697b3d237426110f064aba1
while processing commit 6942b112082fbcdff5c66f06f56fdd336861da47.
error: Fetch failed.

It looks like this is just a network problem.

Btw, the repo is rather strange.  It's not a bare repo, but does not
contain a .git directory.  Instead the files that are normally under
.git are placed directly in the working tree.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."