Subject: Re: Help requested - trying to build a tool doing whole-tree commits

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 22:50:17 +0100

Unknown <[email-masked]> writes:

> I need a command or command sequence that will commit an entire file
> tree to a repository...
>
> (a) Allowing me to specify committer and author metadata, and
>
> (b) deleting paths not present in the previous commit on the current
> branch, and
>
> (c) allowing me to specify merge links from other previous commits.
>
> git commit -a passes (a) and (b) but not (c).

git commit -a won't add new files, so you probably want to use git add
-A && git commit.  I'm not quite sure what you mean with "merge links",
but if you want to create merge commits the you'll need to resort to
plumbing: git add -A && git write-tree && git commit-tree && git
update-ref.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."