Subject: Re: error with symlinks on OSX

From: Seth Falcon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:19:43 -0700

"Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Seth Falcon <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> error: git-checkout-index: unable to create symlink Category/Makefile (Invalid argument)
>> 
>> Now while my file system isn't smart enough to tell the difference
>> between t and T, it does support symlinks AFAIK.
>
> Yes, it does support symlinks.  Is it possible that the name Category
> already existed, but as a file?  Hmm.

I think in the revision before the update, there was a file
Category/Makefile and that it was replaced by a symlink.

So Category is/was a dir.  Category/Makefile was a file and became a
symlink.  Note that I am using git-svn to track an svn repository and
so the problem could be there.

However, I'm not sure where to look or what experiment to try next.

If I checkout an old revision prior to the file becoming a symlink and
then checkout master, I get:

git checkout -b foobar 74227bbd35a77b8
Switched to a new branch "foobar"
git checkout master
D       Category/Makefile
[...snip...]
D       vsn/Makefile
Switched to branch "master"

git reset --hard HEAD
error: git-checkout-index: unable to create symlink Category/Makefile (Invalid argument)
[...snip...]
error: git-checkout-index: unable to create symlink vsn/Makefile (Invalid argument)
HEAD is now at 30bd65d... the commit msg here

-- 
Seth