Subject: Re: Trouble with git-svn when upstream svn URL changed

From: Seth Falcon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 10:34:30 -0800

Eric Wong <[email-masked]> writes:
> This is incorrect, rebuild is not designed to handle new urls.  

ok, I was lead astray by this part of the doc for rebuild:

         A Subversion URL may be optionally specified at the
         command-line if the directory/repository you're tracking has
         moved or changed protocols.

> However, git/git-svn are very flexible beasts :)
>
>> I guess I can create a fresh git repos using git-svn init and then
>> fetch all of my dev branches from the original repository.
>
> You can look at "Advanced Example: Tracking a Reorganized Repository"
> in the manpage.  Ignore the text about --follow-parent since you
> already have the old stuff fetched, and start following the instructions
> beginning with "# And now, we continue tracking the new revisions:"

Oh, sorry I didn't find that example.  This worked perfectly, thanks!

One question: My fingers are in the habit of typing remotes/git-svn.
Can I do:
   cd .git/svn
   rm -r git-svn
   mv git-newsvn git-svn

Or is there a safer way to rename?  Or are there other config-file
ways to make this work -- to provide an alias?

Thank you so much for the prompt reply.  Nice to get going again and
with the full history.