Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix formatting in git-config(1)

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:01:48 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Remove the open block markers from the status.showUntrackedFiles entry
>>> as they cause all remaining entries to be indented one level too much.
>>
>> Hrm...
>>
>> I looked at http://git-htmldocs.googlecode.com/git/git-config.html
>> and am unsure what "one level too much" you are referring to.  Also
>> looking at the output from
>>
>> $ git config --help
>>
>> I see (RHS end truncated to avoid line wrapping in MUA):
>>
>>     status.showUntrackedFiles
>>         By default, git-status(1) and git-commit(1) show files whi
>>         tracked by Git. Directories which contain only untracked f
>>         the directory name only. Showing untracked files means tha
>>         lstat() all all the files in the whole repository, which m
>>         systems. So, this variable controls how the commands displ
>>         files. Possible values are:
>>
>>         ·    no - Show no untracked files.
>>
>>         ·    normal - Show untracked files and directories.
>>
>>         ·    all - Show also individual files in untracked directo
>>
>>         If this variable is not specified, it defaults to normal. 
>>         overridden with the -u|--untracked-files option of git-sta
>>         commit(1).
>
> Worse yet, with AsciiDoc 8.5.2, here is what I see with your patch
> (again, RHS end truncated to avoid line wrapping in MUA):
>
>     status.showUntrackedFiles
>
>             By default, git-status(1) and git-commit(1) show files w
>             Directories which contain only untracked files, are show
>             Showing untracked files means that Git needs to lstat() 
>             repository, which might be slow on some systems. So, thi
>             displays the untracked files. Possible values are:
>
>                * no - Show no untracked files.
>
>                * normal - Show untracked files and directories.
>
>                * all - Show also individual files in untracked direc
>
>                  If this variable is not specified, it defaults to n
>                  with the -u|--untracked-files option of git-status(
>
> So...

I get this layout no matter what, with and without the block markers,
both with version 8.4.5 and 8.6.6.  But with the block markers the
remaining entries are indented too much.

So...

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."