Subject: Re: Specifying revisions in the future

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 13:27:46 +0100

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The rule should be to follow the leftmost parent as far as possible.
>
> But then, if --first-parent doesn't reach the commit you want, there may
> be several paths not following --first-parent that reach it. And you'll
> have to invent some more rules to order them.

The leftmost parent is not necessarily the first parent, but the
leftmost parent that still reaches the commit.  It's a depth-first
search: if following the first parent doesn't reach the commit any more,
try again with the second parent.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."