Subject: Re: [PATCH] git.el: Don't reset HEAD in git-amend-file.

From: Nikolaj Schumacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:17:16 +0200

Alexandre Julliard <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Nikolaj Schumacher <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The current implementation of git-amend-file is a little dangerous.
>> While git --amend is atomic, git-amend-file is not.
>>
>> If the user calls it, but doesn't go through with the commit (due to
>> error or choice), git --reset HEAD^ has been called anyway.
>
> That's a feature, even if it's a little dangerous. You have to reset
> HEAD to be able to properly do diffs, refreshes, etc.  Maybe there should
> be an easier way to redo the commit if you change your mind, but the
> command would be much less useful without the reset.

You're right, it would be less powerful.  But I still think it maps
better to what "git commit --amend" does, i.e. do a few changes and
amend them.  No need for diffing against the old head, or even showing
it in the summary.  For doing something more complicated I would reset
head, too.  So, yes, the command should exist as well.  But I'm not
so sure about the name...

As an aside, the current method doesn't work on the initial commit.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher