Subject: Re: consistency problem on ZFS

From: Yann Hodique <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:21:07 +0100

>>>>> "John" == John Szakmeister <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Yann Hodique <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> 
>> I have a weird problem that seems to manifest itself only on ZFS
>> (actually the Zevo distribution, on OSX). With git 1.8.2.1 by the way.
>> I just switched to ZFS, so I can't blame that particular version of git.
>> 
>> "Sometimes" (I'd say something like 10-15% of the time, fairly
>> reproducible anyway), "git diff-files" will see changes that don't exist
>> for some time, then will catch up with the actual state of the file:
>> 
>> $ git checkout next; git diff-files; git checkout next; git diff-files
>> Already on 'next'
>> :100644 100644 bd774cccaa14e061c3c26996567ee28f4f77ec80 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 M      magit.el
>> Already on 'next'
>> $

> Since you're running with Mac OS X, can I ask what version?  Have you
> seen this with the regular file system (HFS) at all?  It might be that
> you need to disable core.trustctime.

Sure, it's OS X 10.8.3
And no, I don't see this on HFS+ at all. I've just tried numerous times
without success.

And setting core.trustctime seems to do the trick indeed. Many thanks,
that's helping a lot in the short term !

Yann.

-- 
At the age of fifteen, he had already learned silence.

  -- from "A Child's History of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan