Subject: Re: Git config not expanding user home directories

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 04:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]> writes:

> Tom Lanyon wrote:
> > 
> > Is it normal behavior that git (well at least git-svn) won't expand
> > ~user from .gitconfig?
> >
> 
> Yes. You could add a patch for that though. git-daemon does ~user
> expansion since quite a long time back, so there's a function ready
> for it. I'd do it by doing something like:
> 
>    git config --path section.key
> 
> so that scripts can get the user-expanded version as well. In-core
> applications can call expand_path() or some such on their own, I
> think.

There was a patch send to git mailing list adding basic '~' support
(I think via $ENV{HOME}), and IIRC even ~user support. I don't know
what happened to those patches (check mailing list archive), but
most probably it was not accepted because it didn't provide a way
for scripts to use this functionality, for example via --path option.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git