Subject: Re: Error: "You have some suspicious patch lines"

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 02:13:05 -0700 (PDT)

Ben Aurel <[email-masked]> writes:

> I working on mac os x 10.5.4 (intel) with git version 1.5.5.3 and I
> always get this message for most of my perl scripts and also for
> "Makefile.pre" files:
> 
> ----------- Message ---------------
> * You have some suspicious patch lines:
> *
> * In src/scripts/trunk/3rdparty/file_sanity.pl
> * trailing whitespace (line 52)
> ...
> ------------------------------------------

> The question now is: Is it really necessary to edit the git script
> everytime? Is there a urgent reason why git refuses to commit because
> of "suspicious" lines? Is it really necessary?

.git/hooks/pre-commit is example hook which helps to keep Coding Style,
and prevents from accidentally comitting nonresolved file-level merge
conflict (file with conflict markers).

If you want to skip running this hook once (or once upon a time), you
can use '-n'/'--no-verify' option to "git commit".  Or you can turn this
example hook off, either by removing execute permission from it, by
removing it alltogether (you can still find it in templates, usually at
/usr/share/git-core/templates/hooks/pre-commit), or rename it adding for
example '.sample' or '.nonactive' suffix.

This hook should not be turned on by default, but if your filesystem is
executing bit challenged it could be turned on at repository creation
time unintentionally.  Newer version of git use '.sample' suffix (for
example pre-commit.sample) instead of relying on not always reliable
execute bit being unset.

HTH
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git