Subject: Re: update-index --assume-unchanged doesn't make things go fast

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:30:21 -0700 (PDT)

"Avery Pennarun" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi all,
> 
> Using git 1.5.6.64.g85fe, but this applies to various other versions
> I've tried.
> 
> I have a git repo with about 17000+ files in 1000+ directories.  In
> Linux, "git status" runs in under a second, which is perfectly fine.
> But on Windows, which can apparently only stat() about 1000 files per
> second, "git status" takes at least 17 seconds to run, even with a hot
> cache.  (I've confirmed that stat() is so slow on Windows by writing a
> simple program that just runs stat() in a tight loop.  The slowness
> may be cygwin-related, as I found some direct Win32 calls that seem to
> go more than twice as fast... which is still too slow.)

Which git version do you use? Does it have the following configuration
variable (also available as command option):

  status.showUntrackedFiles::
        By default, linkgit:git-status[1] and linkgit:git-commit[1] show
        files which are not currently tracked by Git. Directories which
        contain only untracked files, are shown with the directory name
        only. Showing untracked files means that Git needs to lstat() all
        all the files in the whole repository, which might be slow on some
        systems. So, this variable controls how the commands displays
        the untracked files. Possible values are:

        - 'no'     - Show no untracked files
        - 'normal' - Shows untracked files and directories
        - 'all'    - Shows also individual files in untracked directories.

HTH.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git