Subject: Re: [RESEND] Pagination for gitweb

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:57:44 -0700 (PDT)

Lubomir Rintel <[email-masked]> writes:

> I thought something like this could be a starter for better handling long
> gitweb project lists (such as http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/).
> 
> Could anyone please take a look?

What do you mean here by "better handling"?  

Is the problem server performance for large number of projects?  If
this is the problem, perhaps better solution would be to use caching
(work in progress).

Is the problem large projects-list page and bandwidth?  There was a
patch adding transparent compression of pages generated by gitweb
would be a better solution; perhaps this together with caching (to
avoid performance hit on CPU; note that usually gitweb performance is
I/O and not CPU-bound).

Is the problem client rendering performance on large page with large
table?  If it is, then paginating output, or adding project search
like in gitweb fork used on http://repo.or.cz is correct solution.

So which is it?
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git