Subject: Re: What's the best way to make my company migrate to Git?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:54:03 -0700 (PDT)

Daniele Segato <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]
> I think that to introduce git in my company I should at least go throw
> this 5 points:

> 1. prepare a project management web application easy to use and
>    mantain (like github or gitorious for instance) on one of our
>    intranet servers.

Note that while Gitorious (in Ruby), InDefero (in PHP), and Girocco
(with gitweb, Perl + shell script, used by http://repo.or.cz) are open
source, GitHub is not.  There is GitHub:FI if you want [self] hosted
GitHub-alike, but it is proprietary and it is not cheap.

There is also Gerrit, a web based code review system, which runs in
any standard Java servlet container.

[...]
> Can you also tell me if you think there is some risk in migrating and
> what kind of difficult I could encounter in the process?
> For example: like any company we have a proxy and a firewall..
> For example: if i had to commit something working from home I connect
> to the Subversion via HTTPS and commit, with Git I should have ssh
> access which is something that I probably will not have.

Actually with never Git you can push and pull via HTTP(S) natively,
thanks to git-http-backend.  With older Git you had to use HTTP as
"dumb" protocol, using HTTPS + WebDAV to push (note that for "dumb"
servers git-update-server-info must be run, e.g. via a hook).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git