Subject: Re: auto-merge after push?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 07:35:45 -0700 (PDT)

"Michael S. Tsirkin" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi!
> I'm working on two machines, and git allows me to switch between them
> and sync by means of git pull. When one machine is behind a firewall, I
> can sometimes only do pushes, but then I have to rememeber to merge when
> I log into remote machine.
> 
> Is there a way to trigger merge on remote after push somehow,
> so that running on local machine:
> $ git push remote
> would be equivalent to
> $ ssh remote git pull local

In general this is not possible, because pull can result in merge
conflicts, which you cannot resolve without access.  Why not push into
remotes, and when you are on second machine, complete pull by merging
changes?  See GitFaq (or GitTips, I don't remember which) where such
approach is described in more detail.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git