Subject: Re: Committing with past date?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 04:12:18 -0700 (PDT)

Magnus Hjorth <[email-masked]> writes:

> Can someone tell me how to make a git commit with a date other than the
> current. I hope there is some easier way than changing the system
> clock.. :)

See git(1), section "Environment Variables":
   git Commits
       GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL, GIT_AUTHOR_DATE,
       GIT_COMMITTER_NAME, GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL, GIT_COMMITTER_DATE,
       EMAIL
              see git-commit-tree(1)

or you can use GIT_COMMITTER_IDENT, GIT_AUTHOR_IDENT.  See output
of "git var -l" to get form of it.
 
> I'm trying to port over old version history that I maintained manually
> (tarballs and changelogs) into a git repository. 

For that, I think it would be best to take a look at example
fast-import script: contrib/fast-import/import-tars.perl;
there is equivalent contrib/fast-import/import-zips.py if you
perfer either Pyhon over Perl, and/or zips over tarballs.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git