Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/3] Make the Git tests emit TAP format

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:49:35 -0700 (PDT)

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> All this series does is slightly adjust the raw text output of our
> tests so that it conforms. to the TAP standard, i.e. instead of this:
> 
>    $ ./t0005-signals.sh
>    *   ok 1: sigchain works
>    * passed all 1 test(s)
> 
> We get this:
> 
>    $ ./t0005-signals.sh
>    ok 1 - sigchain works
>    # passed all 1 test(s)
>    1..1
> 
> Changing the output format like this gives us the ability to run the
> Git tests with any TAP tool (like prove(1)) at no extra cost. Every
> other existing way of running the tests continues to work, it's just
> easier for machines to read the output now.

This doesn't tell us if the result of running test suite with
'--verbose' and/or with '--debug' changes, and if changes how?  Is it
compatibile with TAP format so that TAP parsers understand it?

It doesn't tell us if (as I assume) after change git test suite still
generates summary of tests in t/test-results/.  Do those results
change, and if change then how?

It doesn't tell us if (as I assume) we still have the same color
output as we had before, and what we should do to have the same color
output e.g. from TAP tests in Perl.

+1

In my opinion it is a good change, because there are many tools that
understand TAP output format (and being able to output tests in Perl
via standard Test::Simple / Test::More is also nice).  Those include
e.g. Smolder and prove(1).

It would be nice to have something like CPAN Testers
(http://cpantesters.org) but for git test suite.  Junio would be able
to submit new version of git and check if it breaks on some uncommon
architecture...

P.S. I wonder who was original designer of git tests output format,
ans why it was chosen this way (and e.g. why not TAP)...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git