Subject: Re: [RFC - draft #2] List of proposed future changes that are backward incompatible

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:10:47 -0800 (PST)

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Here is a draft of a message I am preparing to send out around 1.6.2-rc2
> is tagged to this mailing list, and mailing list of the projects that use
> git to track their changes, to announce possible future changes that may
> affect the users in a backward incompatible way, and solicit comments.

>  - If your favourite project that uses git is not listed in:
> 
>    http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/ProjectContacts
> 
>    or it does not have "Forwarder" field filled in, please add the project
>    with an appropriate address for the message to be sent.
> 
>    Be careful NOT to list a mailing list address that non-subscribers
>    cannot send messages to.  For such mailing lists, we need to find a
>    subscribed volunteer to forward it.  If you are volunteering, great.

First, I have send announcements about Git User's Survey 2007 and 2008
to mailing list of various projects using git. I can find which didn't
bounced back with 'waiting for moderation', or 'subscribe only' and
provide you (on private or here on git mailing list) with the list of
addresses of mailing list which at least seem public.

Second, you can ask major git hosting sites: repo.or.cz, gitorious and
GitHub (and perhaps also Ohloh software metric site) to announce this
information about future incompatibilities somewhere public on the
site, or alternatively either in news section of a site, or in blog
(or announcements section) if there is any.

P.S. Hmmm... you can try asking on Stackoverflow how to announce and
propagate backward incompatibile changes for packaged OSS project,
like git :-)

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git