Subject: Re: GSoC Application [ Parallelism + Git.pm ]

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:31:17 -0700 (PDT)

Subho Banerjee <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]
> I had a look at the "Ideas" page on the GSoC website and I really
> liked two particular project ideas, in which I believe I can
> contribute to a larger extent.
> 
> * Improving parallelism in various commands
> * Modernizing and expanding Git.pm

[...]
> From what I understand of these tasks --
[...]
> * For the second one, which aims at improving the Git perl module. I
> tried looking around for this one on the net. I was a little confused
> since I could not make out which module this was on CPAN. Is this one
> of the Git::* modules or is it all of them. Because the the
> functionality of the Git::Config and Git::Commit as mentioned in the
> Ideas page seems to be there in the Git::Repository module on CPAN.
> Could some one please clarify this.

The "Modernizing and expanding Git.pm" project refers to the Git
module in git sources[1], that is used by git commands implemented in
Perl like git-svn, git-send-email, and interactive part of git-add.

It is not on CPAN (though if you feel like it putting it on CPAN might
be part of this project, but it must be "dual-lived").

[1]: http://repo.or.cz/w/git.git/blob/HEAD:/perl/Git.pm
     http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=perl/Git.pm
     https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/perl/Git.pm

You can of course take inspiration and code (if it is with compatibile
license) from various Git::* modules on CPAN to implement the
"expanding" part of this project.

Note that Git.pm must remain extremly portable, which includes
ActivePerl on MS Windows (msysGit or Cygwin).  Use of non-core modules
(for 5.8.0) should be also probably limited.
 
> I would really appreciate any ideas or advice for making my
> application for GSoC 2012 better.

HTH
-- 
Jakub Narebski