Subject: Re: Summer of Code project ideas

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:40:44 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2011Ideas
> 
> If you have any ideas, please add them to the page!

A few project ideas I am not sure if they are feasible for GSoC:

* merging-in support for caching in gitweb, and benchmarking/profiling
  gitweb in high load situation

  J.H., you would probably want gitweb [output] caching to be merged-in
  sooner that the end of Google Summer of Code 2011, isn't it?

* embedding graphical diff and graphical merge tool in git-gui, e.g. as
  "git gui diff".  I think that we can use xxdiff; the license is 
  compatibile.

  Pat and Shawn, is it something worth doing?  Does it look like a good
  project for GSoC2011, or is it too small of a project for this?  Would
  we be able to find mentor for this idea?

* splitting gitk, common library (Tcl/Tk bindings) for gitk and git-gui

  Pat and Paul, do you think it is right scope, or is it too large project
  to put as an GSoC idea?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git