Subject: Re: Are binary xdeltas only used if you use git-gc?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 04:15:32 -0700 (PDT)

"Thanassis Tsiodras" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've been usig Git for the last couple of months and am quite happy with it.
> In one of my Git repositories, I am storing uncompressed .tar files
> (since being uncompressed allows git to detect and store
> only their "real"differences).

I think you can use clean / smudge filter in gitattributes for that.

[...]

> Then again, I must confess I only did the git-gc after I pushed.
> Does the git-push actually take advantage of the similarities only if
> I do a git-gc first?

Git does deltification _only_ in packfiles. But when you push via SSH
git would generate a pack file with commits the other side doesn't
have, and those packs are thin packs, so they also have deltas... but
the remote side then adds bases to those thin packs making them
standalone: you would have to git-gc on remote.

HTH
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git