Subject: Re: [PATCH] Remove dependency on IO::String from Git.pm test

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 07:46:22 -0700 (PDT)

Michael Hendricks <[email-masked]> writes:

> Instead of using IO::String to create an in-memory filehandle, use
> open() with a scalar reference as the filename.  This feature has been
> available since Perl 5.8.0 (which was released in 2002), so it should
> be available pretty much everywhere by now.

Besides if I understand correctly gitweb very much requires Perl >= 5.8
because of required Unicode support.

Nevertheless adding "use v5.8.0;" or "use 5.008_000;" would be I guess
good idea.

And best solution, although perhaps unnecessary, would be to check
for version >= 5.8, if older check for IO::String, and even if that
fails, simply skip those tests that require in-memory filehandle
(or use tempfile).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git