Subject: Re: FastCGI support in gitweb

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 09:22:45 -0800 (PST)

The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
that has been posted to gmane.comp.version-control.git as well.

[Cc: Sam Vilain, Juan Jose Comellas]

John Goerzen <[email-masked]> writes:

> FastCGI is much, much lighter on resource requirements if you are
> deploying apps written in various languages on a single server.
> Sometimes even if you aren't.

If you want to add FastCGI support to gitweb, besides fulfilling
constraints I have mentioned earlier (it must run as CGI and mod_perl,
must run without CGI::Fast / FCGI), I think it would be best to
separate input validation and dispatch into separate subroutine.

Perhaps even going as far as getting only required input in the
"action" routines, for example
  our ($hash, $hash_base) = gitweb_params('hash', 'hash_base');
at the beginning of git_commit() subroutine, etc.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git