Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation/git-stash.txt: Adjust SYNOPSIS command syntaxes

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 03:19:03 -0800 (PST)

Jari Aalto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Change (list|...) to <list|...> to denote required command. Adjust
> the 'save' command syntax to better reflect the call parameters:
> [save] [message...] => [save [message...]].

While I agree with the second change, i.e. the "[save [message...]]"
part, I think that the first part is a mistake.  Parentheses does not
imply the optional part: brackets do; parentheses are meant to
delimit the alternatives.  Angle brackets if I understand correctly
are meant to denote part which you have to enter, the user supplied
info (the reast ou have to enter literally).

So IMVHO the SYNOPSIS for git-stash(1) should read:

SYNOPSIS
--------
[verse]
'git-stash' (list | show [<stash>] | apply [<stash>] | clear)
'git-stash' [save [<message>...]]

or

'git-stash' [save [<message...>]]

> -- 
> Welcome to FOSS revolution: we fix and modify until it shines
> 

Nice one. Can I add it to http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/FortuneCookies ?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git