Subject: Re: git-scm.com refresh

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 17:26:07 -0700 (PDT)

Scott Chacon <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hey everyone,
> 
> I just shipped a big update to the git-scm.com website, incorporating
> tons of feedback I've gotten on the site, especially from new users,
> over the years.  I think it will help new users to Git find the right
> installer and get up and running easier.  I have other ideas of things
> to add to it in the future, but I think this is much better than the
> site that has served us well for a few years now.
> 
> Some other interesting things to note:
> 
> * There is now permanent man page hosting here, for example:
> http://git-scm.com/docs/git-fsck.  You can also reference any older
> version of any command: http://git-scm.com/docs/git-fsck/1.5.5

That's very good.  Thank you very much for giving home to git manpages
online.

It would be nice for those manpages to have the title of page to be
set appropriately, e.g. for http://git-scm.com/docs/git-bisect to have
"git-bisect(1)" or "git-bisect(1) Manual Page", or even perhaps
"git-bisect(1) Manual Page - Find by binary search the change that
introduced a bug" instead of just "Git".

> 
> * We designed a new logo[1] - there are multiple variations available
> for download on the site under the most permissive CC license for any
> use.

IMVHO it is too similar to Bazaar logo:

  http://bazaar.canonical.com/bzricons/bazaar-logo.png

I like the [---] git logo, but I guess it is a bit cryptic.
           [+++]

[...]
> Let me know if you run into anything or there are any features you
> would like to see.

In my ancient 10-years old web browser (Mozilla 1.17.2, Linux) the new
layout is seriously broken (misaligned), and much less readable than
the old one (BTW. could you keep the old one, perhaps only the front
page, for comparison?).  Also the font size is too small.

-- 
Jakub Narebski