Subject: [1.8.0] split largest remaining scripts, gitk and gitweb

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:26:08 -0800 (PST)

Two largest files in git repository are gitk and gitweb, see the
output of the following command

  $ git ls-tree --abbrev -r -t -l v1.7.4 | sort -k4,4 -n | tail

I can't say much about splitting gitk, besides the fact that git-gui
which was of comparable size IIRC got split into smaller files; I
guess similar thing could be done for gitk.

There was an attempt (ultimately failed) on splitting gitweb during
Google Summer of Code 2010.  At least providing infrastructure for
multiple gitweb modules is very much required for adding
code-intensive new features, like gitweb output caching.

On the other hand this might make gitweb harder to install...

Next in size is compat/nedmalloc/malloc.c.h (I don't know if it can be
reduced in size), and git-svn.  I think we could separate core
functionality into Git::Svn module or something, and make git-svn
smaller (perhaps reusing some code in/from svn remote helper).

What do you think?
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git