Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] git checkout -b: unparent the new branch with -o

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:33:19 -0800 (PST)

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>     Side note: The other two "disjoint" merges we have are also this kind
>     of "no common paths" merge.  Nobody who was involved in the branches
>     that resulted in them prepared his branch with --orphan, by the way.
>     They started out in independent repositories, because they were by
>     definition independent projects and these were "cross project merges",
>     as Linus put it.

Note that beside "disjoint" merges ("cross project merges"), of gitk,
git-gui, gitweb and (very early in git history) git mail tools, there
are also three "disjoint"/"unparented" branches: 'html', 'man' and
'todo'.

While 'todo' is totally unrelated, and if instead of starting in
separate repository it would be created using proposed feature, it
would be created with "no common paths" case.

BUT in the case of 'html' and 'man' branches I could see why current
implementation of _removing index and not removing files_ might be
advantageous.  Remove index, create HTML and manpage version of
documentation, and add HTML (in 'html' branch) or manpages (in 'man'
branch)... probably shifting root, so it is not all in single
Documentation directory.

Just my 2 eurocents.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git