Subject: Re: [PATCHv4] Add Gitweb support for XZ compressed snapshots

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:27:50 -0700 (PDT)

"J.H." <[email-masked]> writes:
> Mark A Rada wrote:

> > I have not enabled XZ compression by default because the current
> > default is GZip, and XZ is only really competitive with
> > BZip2. Also, the XZ format is still fairly new (the format was
> > declared stable about 6 months ago), and there have been no
> > "stable" releases of the utils yet.
> 
> One thing that would concern me greatly, is not so much the CPU time
> (though that's a *huge* change in comparison to gz) but the memory
> usage.  Where gzip and bzip2 are chewing 4M and 13M respectively, xz
> chews 102M.  From a 'beefy' server perspective chewing up that much
> memory per snapshot for that long could be bad.  This is likely
> something that needs to have some sort of enable/disable switch if
> it's going to be included.

First, by default project specific override for 'snapshot' feature is
disabled, and only 'tgz' ('.tar.gz') snapshot links are generated.

Second, if you want to enable project specific override for 'snapshot'
feature, you can still control what snapshot formats (among 'tgz',
'tbz2', 'zip' and now 'txz') from $GITWEB_CONFIG by simply deleting
formats you don't want to be used from %known_snapshot_formats.

For example

  delete $known_snapshot_formats{'txz'};

> 
> Good analysis btw, though I'll admit it makes me leary of something
> dynamically generating xz compressed files.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git