Subject: Re: gitweb showing slash r at the end of line

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:35:45 -0800 (PST)

Ondra Medek <[email-masked]> writes:

> we have gitweb running on Linux box. Some files have Windows line ending
> (CRLF) end we do not use core.autcrlf translation. gitweb show the last \r
> in the end of each line, which is annoying.

Well, this "\r" allows to recognize when file with Windows line ending
(CRLF) made it into repository... which usually is discouraged.  But
if you allow this, I can understand that those "\r" at the end of
every line can be annoying.

A simple _workaround_ would be to create one's own extra stylesheet,
with rule hiding control characters visualization (including "\r"), e.g.

  .cntrl { display: none; }

and stuff thys additional it in @stylesheets via gitweb config file.

> I have created a simple patch to avoid this.

Please read Documentation/SubmittingPatches if you want your work to
be considered for inclusion.  This is not a proper patch -- it lacks
commit message (comments should be outside of it, e.g. between "---"
and diffstat) and signoff.

> It adds just one line. I am not sure if the regexp should
> contain 'g' switch in the end. Also, not sure if there should be some config
> option to switch on/off this?

Note that your patch beside hiding "\r" in the case when file has
Windows line endings, it also hides "\r" in the case where file has
_mixed_ line endings (LF mixed with CRLF, which is incorrect).  Though
handling that well would be quite difficult, I think...

Though esc_html gets passed whole lines, I am not sure if it always
gets passed whole lines and would continue getting passed only whole
lines in the future, so there should be 'g' modifier (or better 'gm'
modifier to make sure that $ matches end of line not only end of
string).

I think it would be better if there was an option to switch hiding
"\r" on and off... though I am not sure if it can be done without
incuring large performance penalty.

> ---
>  gitweb/gitweb.perl |    1 +
>  1 files changed, 1 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
> 
> diff --git a/gitweb/gitweb.perl b/gitweb/gitweb.perl
> index abb5a79..92175bc 100755
> --- a/gitweb/gitweb.perl
> +++ b/gitweb/gitweb.perl
> @@ -1500,6 +1500,7 @@ sub esc_html {
>         if ($opts{'-nbsp'}) {
>                 $str =~ s/ /&nbsp;/g;
>         }
> +       $str =~ s/\r$//;
>         $str =~ s|([[:cntrl:]])|(($1 ne "\t") ? quot_cec($1) : $1)|eg;
>         return $str;
>  }
> --

Another solution would be to modify quot_cec...

-- 
Jakub Narebski