Subject: Re: GLib

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 11:06:25 -0700 (PDT)

Zganyaiko Dmitry <[email-masked]> writes:

> My question is very simple:
> why git doesn't use glib as base C framework? For example, in git there
> are xmalloc, xrealloc functions that duplicates glib functionality, and
> these routines are only small piece of all duplicated code that already
> exists in glib.
> 
> So, why git was designed and is developing now without mature stable C
> library like glib?

Note that git is very performance conscious.  For example a while ago
some of git commands were split off from /usr/libexec/git-core/git so
that only those need to link against libcurl (if I remember it
correctly).

Besides it all started very simple, with a few wrappers: git
developers thought that requiring GLib is overkill for those few
wrappers.  strbuf, parseopt etc. it all came later.

At least it is what I think (what I guess).

BTW how portable GLib is?
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git